You must be wondering why watches and hunting are being mentioned in the same line without any apparent connection. If you ever did take a part in hunting, you would understand how easy it is to lose track of time and even get lost when you get caught up in the moment.
For many hunters, it is all about connecting to nature, so they rarely carry their smartphones with them. Therefore, the only contraption they may have, aside from hunting weapons, is a wrist watch. For this reason, some watches have been designed for hunting, and they include the following.
Here are The Top 5 Wrist Watches for Hunting:
A good quality hunting watch is not only necessary for hunting, rather you can use the watch for tracking and hiking purposes. The multifunctionality and the tough nature of these watches are making them popular among many travelers and adventure sport lovers. Don’t be put off by the possible price of these watches. If you do your research on websites like Raise, you can find some great deals on not just watches, but all hunting gears!
Here are the five top picks hunting watches for you.
1. Suunto Traverse Alpha
This tough hunting watch is made for harsh conditions. It is made out of glass reinforced with the composite case, a knurled bezel made out of stainless steel, a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, a water-resistant textile strap, and can be perfectly okay even when you dive 100m deep into the water. Suunto Traverse Alpha is a military standard watch that can withstand anything that is thrown at it.
- It has an “Automatic Shot Detection” that records data of when and where you shoot.
- It has an accelerometer that analyzes your motions and gun recoil.
- It Has sunset and sunrise time alerts to notify you in case you lose track of time.
- It Has a state-of-the-art navigation system.
- It is night vision goggle compatible.
2. Garmin Fenix 5X Plus
This is a sporty hunting watch that is designed for people who love spending most of their time outdoors hunting. It is small and light, you can barely feel it on your wrists, yet it has a rugged built that makes it tough enough to go through anything in the wild. The Garmin Fenix 5X Plus has a titanium bezel, a fiber-reinforced polymer case, and a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal lens.
- It has an Altimeter for checking the exact altitude that you are operating from.
- It has an in-built barometer.
- It has a compass for keeping track of direction.
- It has GPS and a TOPO map for good measure.
If you want your watch to really shine during your hunting trip, you can go for personalization options. Credible brands like Mobile Mob, offer personalized design solutions for Garmin hunting watches, which are durable, attractive, and will allow you to blend form and function to a supposedly rugged hunting watch. You can choose between a range of watch strap options according to what you prefer appeals the most to you.
3. Casio Pro Trek WSD-F20-RGBAU
The Casio Pro Trek is another military standard Casio hunting watch that comes with a strap made out of resin, a crystal mineral dial, and a water-resistant case that can handle 50 meters of water. The watch is available for Android and IOS, and it is built for durability.
- It comes equipped with an Altimeter.
- It has a barometer for checking humidity.
- It has a full-color map on top of having a location memory.
- It has GPS and a compass.
4. LBJ Outdoor Compass Watch
Just as the name implies, this hunting watch is built with a specialized focus on providing the most accurate directions during hunting trips. It has a PU silicone strap, a Hardlex dial window that is enclosed in a tough plastic case that can resist water to a depth of 50 meters.
- It has an Altimeter.
- It comes bundled up with an in-built thermometer.
- It has a very advanced compass.
- It has an alarm that gives you hourly notifications to help keep track of time.
5. Garmin Tactix Bravo
Another Garmin hunting watch makes it into the list, a true testament to how reliable a brand they are. Available for both IOS and Android, the Garmin Tactix Bravo has a steel bezel with a DLC coating, a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal surface, a nylon strap that makes the watch be water-resistant to a depth of 100m.
- It has an Altimeter.
- It has a barometer.
- It is equipped with a 3-axis compass.
- It has an Omni-directional EXO antenna.
- It has a state-of-the-art GLONASS GPS.
- It has a real-time breadcrumb trail that helps you retrace your footsteps if you are lost.
- It also has a TrackBack feature.
- It has support for night goggles.
- The screen has Garmin’s Chroma Display that makes it possible to read the screen even in direct sunlight.
What to Consider When Choosing a Hunting Watch
When looking for a hunting watch, there are some things you have to pay attention to, features that will make your hunting much easier. They include the following;
- The hunting watch must have a GPS and a compass. The reason for this is straightforward, you may get lost, and without any network coverage, getting back on track can be hard. Unless you have extensive knowledge of the woods you are hunting on, get a watch that can help with directions when you need it.
- It must be water-resistant. Hunting is an intense activity that takes you through tough terrain. You may find yourself needing to wade through water, or you may find yourself at the mercy of heavy rain. A water-resistant hunting watch should be able to withstand all that without any problem.
- It must have a sunset and sunrise alarm feature that will help you keep track of time. It is easy to get engrossed in hunting, and you may lose your sense of time, and that could be disastrous if darkness finds you in a place you are not very familiar with.
- The battery has to be durable and reliable. The last thing you would want is to end up with a dead watch on your wrist with no other means of navigating. Get a watch whose battery can last for days. Or better yet, a solar-powered one that will never go flat and takes a shorter time to recharge.
- Lastly, a good hunting watch must have an in-built barometer. Keeping track of weather changes is vital for a hunter as it not only affects the accuracy of the weapons but also affects the availability of animals. Once it starts raining heavily, animals hide in places that are hard to be found.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: What is the best watch for hunters?
A: The SUUNTO Traverse Alpha, is the best watch for hunting. It has GPS, Shot Technology, Storm Alarms, sunrise, sunset features,, full battery life, scratch resistant, an app to record your trips.
Q2: Does Suunto Traverse Alpha have a heart rate?
A: This watch tracks the daily activity, with calories and steps and turns into a heart beat rate monitor. This comes with an optional chest or wrist belt. They are resistant to 330 feet.
Q3: How long does it take Suunto 5 to get charged?
A: It takes 2 to 3 hours to fully charge an empty battery. A tip for you to keep the battery life, fix the GPS interval while recording.
Q4: Where is Suunto Based?
A: Suunto Oy is a Finland company that makes and markets sports watches, dive computers, precision instruments and compasses. The Headquarter is in Vantaa, Finland.
There is enough watch supply for every function known to man. It doesn’t matter the line of work you are in or the kind of activity you spend your free time engaging in. Hunting watches are just but a small fraction of what watches in the modern world can do. They have gone beyond the traditional role of telling time. If you are a hunting enthusiast, it is time you got yourself a hunting watch.